Oh hi.
RANKINGS:
Food: 8/10
Nightlife: 9/10
City: 6/10
I must say, Budapest... not one of my favourite cities. Architecturally it was not super interesting and it felt quite disorganized. We went to a vintage market the morning of the first day that was advertised to be a great market to thrift and find clothes. Sorry, I should've used a different word, not advertisement, PROPAGANDA. It was a huge, local antique market which was interesting but it was a a short trek from the city and was just not what we were hoping to find. The best part were a box of letters from the time of the Hungarian Revolution, of course we couldn't read but it was interesting to see and think about the families and loved ones. At the same booth were boxes of framed, but not developed, film. Some were of buildings, or other sights, but my favourite were the ones taken in homes of family members. I especially liked when I picked up the next photo and it was the same person. I loved being able to see the story of these families through these photos, so that made up for the lack of clothes.
Next on our speed tour of Budapest we went to St. Stephan's Basilica. It was stunning inside, although I think I might have been expecting too much because of St. Peter's. I would've liked to spend more time wandering through and admiring the mosaics but Dylan and Grace are not as keen on churches as I am so we did a quick sweep and then headed up to the dome and terrace. It was nice to have the city laid out in front of us but once again, I wasn't amazed or really that big of a fan of the view...? Post church we got a ginourmous dessert called a chimney cake. It is a hollow cylindrical shaped dessert, ours was covered with cinnamon sugar and filled with nutella. It was solid but too messy to be good. Then we did some vintage shopping to appease the sightseeing, but nothing caught my eye - both in the thrifting and sightseeing.
The final activity of the day was the fan favourite, the prosecco cruise! In case you don't know what a prosecco cruise is, I shall explain. I bought 3 all inclusive tickets for a all you can drink 75 minute prosecco cruise. Now, I famously do not enjoy alcohol that tastes like alcohol, and prosecco is not super delicious in my opinion, however it is the thing to do there. BUT, when we arrived on the boat (all looking super snazzy) they announced that they had a drink included called a Rossini. This wonderful creation is strawberry infused prosecco, and I had 6 glasses. The cruise, as I am sure you can imagine, was quite a lot of fun, and left us properly buzzed. From there we had dinner at a very yummy restaurant only one pier down from the boat dock.
Now, some of you might be thinking that this seems like a wonderful end to the day and a great time to go to sleep. And those of you would be correct! It was the end of the day, and the perfect start of the night, and we did go to sleep. We went back to the hotel to take power naps before we entered the realm of Budapest nightlife. The first stop of the night was the Ruin Bar. This nighttime staple is a series of bars that is built in a ruined building in the city. It is a huge complex with two floors and lots of cool decorations. It was at this bar that I tried a screwdriver, orange juice and vodka, because they did not have my typical drink of choice, a vodka cranberry. The screwdriver was great, I recommend to anyone lacking vitamin C. The best part of this bar was a tiny room in the back left completely dedicated to HEADBANGING. Now, headbanging was not a ritual that I was versed with before this night, but it is a ritual that I will continue to participate in after. It was quite hysterical seeing all of the grown men seriously headbanging and getting so into the music that I honestly thought they were going to injure themselves. The only downside of this bar was that it was an older crowd, that was not bringing the best vibes. So we took the headbang energy to the most famous club in Hungary, Instant Fogas. This club has made themselves a Hungarian staple due to the 18 rooms, each playing a different genre of music. It was awesome. The pop-music room had a great playlist but was so crowded that we could barely move. We continued to explore the venue and went to the basement level. So our great entertainment, this turned out to house the, you guessed it, headbanging rooms. There were two, and we spent the majority of our time there, headbanging like our lives depended on it, and laughing hysterically the entire time. The rest of the club was very cool but none of it lived up to the basement.
To end our night, or start our morning, we tried to go to our favourite taco place. Online it said that it closed at 4am, but much to my disgruntlement when we arrived at 3:50am, IT WAS CLOSED. So we made out way to a Greek Gyro place that was, admittedly, delicious, but nothing comes close to those tacos.
No comments:
Post a Comment